- A pair of scales.
- (uncountable) equilibrium, Equilibrium in movement.
- (uncountable) support, Support for both viewpoints, substances etc or neither; neutrality.
- A list accounting for the debits on one side, and for the credits on the other
verb (balanc, ing)
- Dutch: balans
- French: équilibre
- German: Bilanz , Saldo
- Italian: bilancio
Translations: Etymology: From French, balance.
- (transitive) to make (items) weigh up.
- (transitive) (figurative) to make (concepts) agree.
- (transitive) to hold (an object or objects) precariously.
- (transitive) to make the credits and debits of (an account) correspond.
- (intransitive) to be in equilibrium.
- (intransitive) to have matching credits and debits.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for balance for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.