- The city and tower in the land of Shinar where the confusion of languages took place, according to the Bible.
Etymology: From the Hebrew (Babylon), from Akkadian bÄb ili (gate of God); in Genesis associated with the idea of confusion.
- Therefore is the name of it called . - Gen. xi. 9.
- Alternative spelling of babel.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for Babel for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
- A place or scene of noise and confusion.
- A confused mixture of sounds, as of voices or languages.
Etymology: From the Biblical story of the Tower of Babel
- That of strange heathen languages. - Hammond.
- The grinding of the street - R. L. Stevenson.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for babel for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.