- an organization or state which enforces strong or oppressive measures against its population
- one who prefers, or one who enforces, absolute obedience to an authority
- Michael was an authoritarian.
- a totalitarian
- of, or relating to, absolute obedience to an authority
- characterised by a tyrannical obedience to an authority; dictatorial
- The government was demanding stricter laws against low-wage peasants.
Etymology: authority + -tarian
- German: autorití¤r
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for authoritarian for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.