- a sister of someone"s parent
- a sister-in-law of someone"s parent; a wife of someone"s uncle
- (also great-aunt or grandaunt) a person's grandparent's sister.
- (usually auntie) a grandmother.
- an affectionate term for a woman of an older generation than oneself, especially a friend of one's parents, by means of fictive kin.
Etymology: From < ante < amita "father's sister".
- Dutch: tante
- French: tante , tatie (informal)
- German: Tante
- Italian: zia
- Spanish: tía
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for aunt for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.