noun (rfc-level, Noun at L4+ not in L3 Ety section)
verb (aspirat, es)
- (linguistics) The puff of air accompany, accompanying the release of a plosive consonant.
- (linguistics) A sound produced by such a puff of air.
Etymology: From spiritus asper, spÄritus asper, lit. 'rough breath', from asper 'rough' + spiritus 'breath'.
- (context, transitive, linguistics) To follow a consonant with an audible puff of breath.
- (transitive) To remove gas by means of suction.
- (intransitive) To inhale; to draw into one's lungs.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for aspirate for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.