- A fact or statement used to support a proposition; a reason:
- A verbal dispute; a quarrel.
- A process of reasoning.
- (context, philosophy, logic) A series of statements organized so that the final statement is a conclusion which is intended to follow logically from the preceding statements, which function as premises.
- (math) The independent variable of a function.
- (complang) A value, or reference to a value, passed to a function.
- (complang) A parameter in a function definition; a formal argument.
- A summary or short statement of the plot or chief points of a book.
Etymology: < < argumentum < arguere
- French: argument(fr)m
- German: Argument(de)n
- Italian: discussione(it)f
- Spanish: argumento(es)m
- Dutch: argument(nl)n
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for argument for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.