- a chief magistrate of ancient Athens
Translations: Etymology: Greek "ruler", a noun use of the present participle of "to rule".
- 1980: Hated by the archons of Athens for his fearless condemnation of municipal graft, he was hypocritically arraigned on a charge of corrupting Athenian youth. (Burgess, Earthly Powers)
- a ruler, head of state or other leader
- 1922: But neither the midwife"s lore nor the caudlectures saved him from the archons of Sinn Fein and their noggin of hemlock. (Joyce, Ulysses)
- (gnosticism) a supernatural being subordinate to the Demiurge
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for archon for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.