- A semicircular projection from a building, especially the rounded east-end of a church that contains the altar.
- (astronomy, obsolete) The nearest and furthest points to the centre of gravitational attraction for a body in orbit. More usually called an apsis.
- (obsolete, or, dialectal) In some local dialects and in archaic usage, an aspen tree.
- French: abside (1)
- German: Apsis
- Italian: abside (1)
- Spanish: í¡bside (1), í¡bsida (1), í¡pside (1)
- From the Latin apsis; from the Greek ', (h)apsis, from the verb ', haptein, meaning 'to fasten'.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for apse for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.