- A remedy to counteract the effects of poison (often followed by "against," "for," or "to").
- She reached the hospital in time to receive the for the snake venom.
- Something that counteracts or prevents something harmful.
- We need an for this misinformation.
Etymology: From antidotum, from antidoton "given as a remedy for", verbal adj. of antididonai "give in return", from - anti "against" (confer ante, "before") + didonai "to give".Compare with Latin antidotum and antidote. See dose.
- German: Antidot (1), Gegengift (1), Gegenmittel (1,2)
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for antidote for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.