- (archaic) antiphon, Antiphon.
- A choral or vocal composition, often with a religious or political lyric.
Translations: Etymology: From ecclesiastical Latin antiphona. Compare antiphon.
- The school's sang of its many outstanding qualities, and it was hard to keep a straight face while singing.
- A hymn of praise or loyalty.
- The choir sang a selection of Christmas anthems at the service just before the big day.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for anthem for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.