- any thing that precedes another thing, especially the cause of the second thing
- (in plural) one's ancestors
- (grammar) a word, phrase or clause referred to by a pronoun
- In "The policeman asked the boy what he was doing" the phrase "the boy" is the of the pronoun "he".
- (logic) The conditional part of a hypothetical proposition
- French: antécédent
- Dutch: antecedent
- German: Bezugswort
(trans-top, conditional part of a hypothetical proposition)
- earlier either in time or order
- German: frí¼her, vorausgehend
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for antecedent for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.