- Obliged to answer; liable to be called to account; liable to pay, indemnify, or make good; accountable; amenable; responsible; as, an agent is answerable to his principal; to be answerable for a debt, or for damages.
- Will any man argue that . . . he can not be justly punished, but is only to God? --Swift.
- Capable of being answered or refuted; admitting a satisfactory answer.
- The argument, though subtle, is yet . --Johnson.
- correspondent, Correspondent; conformable; hence, comparable.
- What wit and policy of man is to their discreet and orderly course? --Holland.
- This revelation . . . was to that of the apostle to the Thessalonians. --Milton.
- proportionate, Proportionate; commensurate; suitable; as, an achievement answerable to the preparation for it.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for answerable for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.