- A feeling of discomfort or vexation caused by what one dislikes.
- That which causes such a feeling.
- (transitive) To disturb or irritate, especially by continued or repeated acts; to bother with unpleasant deeds.
- Marc loved his sister, but when she annoyed him he wanted to switch her off.
- (intransitive) To do something to upset or anger someone; to be troublesome.
- Connie liked to her brother by using him as a leg rest.
- (transitive) To molest; to harm; to injure.
Etymology: From anuier, from enuier (French: ennuyer), from inodiare.
- Dutch: ergeren, vervelen
- French: gíªner
- German: stí¶ren
- Italian: infastidirsi
- Spanish: molestar, agobiar
(trans-top, To do something to upset or anger someone)
(trans-top, To molest; to harm; to injure)
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for annoy for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.