noun (2=-, pl=anime, pl2=animes)
- (uncountable) An artistic style used in Japanese animation that has also been adopted by some artists in America and other countries.
- (rfv-sense) (countable) An animated work using this style.
- 2005, Peter J. Katzenstein, A World of Regions, page 165,
- :After three months of successful sales in manga form, it was made into an for television.
- 2005, w:Joan D. Vinge, Joan D. Vinge, in The Year's Best Fantasy and Horror: Eighteenth Annual Collection, page cix,
- :Usually the manga comes first, though it may be an offshoot of a novel, and an may be inspired by a video game.
- 2006, Thomas LaMarre?, in Japan After Japan (Tomiko Yoda & Harry D. Harootunian, eds.), page 363,
- :These prepared the way for Otaku no video, a two-part Original Video Animation (OVA).
- Dutch: anime(nl)
- French: animé(fr)
- German: anime(de)
- Italian: anime(it)
- Spanish: anime(es)
Etymology: From (JAchar, ããã) anime, an abbreviation of (JAchar, ããããããã) animÄshon, from English animation.
- Of or pertaining to Japanese animation.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for anime for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.