- (organic chemistry) Any organic compound containing both an amine, amino and a carboxylic acid functional group.
- (biochemistry) Any of the twenty naturally occurring α-amino acids (having the amino, and carboxylic acid groups on the same carbon atom), and a variety of side chains, that combine, via peptide bonds, to form proteins.
Etymology: See (term, amine) and (term, acid).
- Dutch: (t, nl, aminozuur, n)
- French: acide aminé(fr)m
- German: Aminosí¤ure(de)f
- Italian: amminoacido(it)m
- Spanish: aminoí¡cido(es)m
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for amino acid for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.