- A custom peculiar to the United States or the Americans.
- A word, phrase or linguistic feature originating from or specific to American language usage.
- However, the -ize spelling is now rarely used in the UK in the mass media and newspapers, and is hence often incorrectly regarded as an .
- A preference to the United States and the ideas it represents.
Etymology: American + -ism
- Dutch: amerikanisme
- French: américanisme(fr)
- German: Amerikanismus(de)m
- Spanish: americanismo(es)m
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for Americanism for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.