- The name of the first letter of the Greek alphabet (Î‘, Î±), followed by beta. In the Latin alphabet it is the predecessor to A.
- (context, science) The name of the symbol, symbols Î‘ and Î± used in science and mathematics, often interchangeable with the symbols when used as a prefix.
- : alpha particle ("Î±-particle")
- The highest scientific caste of people in the novel w:Brave New World, Brave New World by w:Aldous Huxley, Aldous Huxley.
- In finance, the amount by which a given asset or portfolio's return exceeds a "riskless" rate of return.
- Designates the first in an order of precedence.
- alpha male, male
- (star) Designates the brightest star in a constellation.
- Alpha Centauri, Alpha Centauri
- French: alpha(fr)m
- Italian: alfa(it)mEtymology: From Greek alpha (), the first letter of the Greek alphabet, from the Phoenician aleph.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for alpha for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.