- Having life, in opposition to dead; living; being in a state in which the organs perform their functions; as, an animal or a plant which is alive.
- In a state of action; in force or operation; unextinguished; unexpired; existent; as, to keep the fire alive; to keep the affections alive.
- Exhibiting the activity and motion of many living beings; swarming; thronged.
- The Boyne, for a quarter of a mile, was with muskets and green boughs. --Macaulay.
- sprightly, Sprightly; lively; brisk.
- Having susceptibility; easily impressed; having lively feelings, as opposed to apathy; sensitive.
- Tremblingly to nature's laws. --Falconer.
- Of all living (by way of emphasis).
- Northumberland was the proudest man . --Clarendon.
- Note: Used colloquially as an intensive; as, man !
- Note: Alive always follows the noun which it qualifies.
Etymology: on live, on lÄfe (in life); lÄfe being the dative of lÄf (life).
- Dutch: levendig
- German: lebendig
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for alive for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.