- (obsolete) An acute fever.
verb (agu, ing)
- Brenning agues. "P. Plowman.
- (pathology) An intermittent fever, attended by alternate cold and hot fits.
- The cold fit or rigor of the intermittent fever; as, fever and ague.
- A chill, or state of shake, shaking, as with cold.
- A former name for malaria.
Etymology: ague and agu, ague, from and aguí (fievre), "acute (fever)", from (febris) acuta "acute fever", from acutus "sharp, acute" + febris "fever".
- (transitive) To strike with an ague, or with a cold fit.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for ague for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.