verb (admir, es)
- (transitive) To regard with wonder and delight;
- (transitive) to look upon with an elevated feeling of pleasure, as something which calls out approbation, esteem, love or reverence;
- (transitive) to estimate or prize highly; as, to admire a person of high moral worth, to admire a landscape.
Etymology: From Old French amirer, later from French admirer or Latin admirari, which comes from ad- + mirari "to wonder".
- Dutch: bewonderen, aanbidden
- German: bewundern, verehren, hochschí¤tzen
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for admire for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.