noun (admiralties, -)
Etymology: F. amirauté, for an older amiralté, office of admiral, fr. LL. admiralitas. See admiral
- (military): The office or jurisdiction of an admiral.
- (military): The department or officers having authority over naval affairs generally.
- (legal): The court which has jurisdiction of maritime questions and offenses.
- (legal): The system of jurisprudence of admiralty courts.
- (military) The building in which the lords of the admiralty, in England, transact business.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for admiralty for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.