noun (plural adjuvants)
- A thing which aids or assists; an auxiliary.
- One who helps or facilitates; an assistant.
- (Medicine) An additive (as in a drug) that aids or modifies the action of the principal ingredient.
- (Medicine) Something (as in a method) that enhances the effectiveness of a medical treatment.
- (Immunology) A substance enhancing the immune response to an antigen.
Etymology: From Latin adjuvÄns, present participle of adjuvÄre, from juvÄre, to help. First English use recorded in 17th century.
- The noun used as a modifier.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for adjuvant for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.