- One who renders account; one accountable.
- A reckoner, or someone who maintains financial matters for a person(s)
- One who is skilled in, keeps, or adjusts, accounts; an officer in a public office, who has charge of the accounts.
- One who's profession includes organizing, maintaining and auditing the records of another. The records are usually but not always financial records.
- Dutch: boekhouder
- German: Buchhalter/Buchhalterin /
Etymology: Compare French accomptant, Old French acontant, present participle
- (obsolete) Accountable - Shakespeare
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for accountant for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.