verb (accelerat, ing)
- (transitive) To cause to move faster; to quicken the motion of; to add to the speed of.
- (transitive) To quicken the natural or ordinary progression or process of.
- to the growth of a plant, the increase of wealth, etc.
- (transitive) To hasten, as the occurrence of an event.
- to our departure.
- (intransitive) To become faster; to begin to move more quickly.
Etymology: acceleratus, past participle of accelerare, formed from ad- + celerare "to hasten", which from celer "quick". See celerity.
- Dutch: versnellen, sneller gaan
- French: accélérer
- German: beschleunigen
- Italian: accelerare
- Spanish: acelerarse
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for accelerate for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.