- One holding the philosophy of Socrates and Plato; a Platonist.
- A member of an academy, college, or university; an academician.
- A person who attends an academy.
- Belonging to the school or philosophy of Plato; as, the sect or philosophy.
- Belonging to an academy or other higher institution of learning.
- courses - Warburton
- academical study - Berkeley
- Being scholarly; literary or classical, in distinction from scientific.
- (pejorative) Having no practical importance.
Etymology: academicus: compare French académique. See academy.
- Dutch: academisch
- German: akademisch
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for academic for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.