- improper, Improper treatment or usage; application to a wrong or bad purpose; misuse; perversion.
- Liberty may be endangered by the abuses of liberty, as well as by the abuses of power. - Madison
- physical, Physical maltreatment; injury.
- Sexual assault; violation; rape.
- An unjust, corrupt or wrongful practice or custom; offense; crime; fault.
- coarse, Coarse, insulting speech; abusive language.
- The two parties, after exchanging a good deal of , came to blows. - Macaulay
verb (abus, ing)
- Dutch: f(nl, beschimpingen)p
- French: abus(fr)m
- German: Missbrauch (alternative Miíčbrauch)
- Italian: abuso(it)m
- (transitive) To put to a wrong use; to misapply; to use improperly; to misuse; to use for a wrong purpose or end; to pervert; as, to one's authority.
- This principle (if one may so the word) shoots rapidly into popularity. - Froude
- (transitive) To injure; to maltreat; to hurt; to treat with cruelty.
- (transitive) To rape; to assault; to ravish.
- (transitive) To attack with coarse language; to insult; to revile.
- (transitive) (obsolete) To deceive; to trick; to impose on.
- Their eyes red and staring, cozened with a moist cloud, and abused by a double object. - Jeremy Taylor
- Dutch: nl(nl, beschimpen}}, t-)uitschelden
- French: abuser(fr)
- German: missbrauchen(de)
- Italian: violentare(it)
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for abuse for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.