- The act of abating, or the state of being abated; a lessening, diminution, or reduction; removal or putting an end to; as, the of a nuisance is the suppression thereof.
- The amount abated; that which is taken away by way of reduction; deduction; decrease; a rebate or discount allowed.
- (heraldry) A mark of dishonor on an escutcheon; any figure added to the coat of arms tending to lower the dignity or station of the bearer.
- The entry of a stranger, without right, into a freehold after the death of the last possessor, before the heir or devisee.
Etymology: Old French abatement, French abattement.
- Dutch: afname, afslag, inkrimping, korting, vermindering]]
- French: réduction
- German: Abnahme
- Italian: riduzione
- Spanish: disminución
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for abatement for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.