- An English surname derived from the transliteration of various Asian surnames, particularly originating from China and Vietnam.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for Tan for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
- (colour) a yellowish-brown color, colour.
- <table><tr><td>tan colour: </td><td bgcolor="
- C0AC96?" width="80"> </td></tr></table>
- a darkening of the skin resulting from exposure to the sun.
- She still has a from her vacation in Mexico.
- the bark of an oak or other tree from which tannic acid is obtained.
verb (tan, n, ing)
- Dutch: gebruinde kleur
- French: bronzage , hí¢le (aspirated h)
- German: Brí¤une , Sonnenbrí¤une
- (intransitive) to change to a tan colour due to exposure to the sun.
- No matter how long I stay out in the sun, I never — though I do burn.
- (transitive) to change an animal hide into leather by soaking it in tannic acid.
- see w:Tanning, Wikipedia article on Tanning.
adjective ((compar): tanner, (superl): tannest)
- Dutch: looien
- French: tanner
- German: gerben, walken
- Spanish: broncear
- (colour) of a yellowish-brown.
- Mine is the white car parked next to the pickup truck.
- having dark skin as a result of exposure to the sun.
- You"re looking very this week.
- Dutch: gebruind, gebruinde
- German: braun, sonnengebrí¤unt
- Spanish: bronceado (por el sol)
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for tan for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.