- (slang) The Caterpillar brand of heavy machinery.
- (given name, female), a short form of Catherine.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for Cat for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of Cat
- (countable) A domesticated species (ib, Felis silvestris) of feline animal commonly kept as a house pet.
- (countable) Any similar animal of the family Felidae, which includes lions, tigers, etc.
- (countable) A catfish.
- (countable) A spiteful or angry woman.
- (context, nautical, countable) A strong tackle used to hoist an anchor to the cathead of a ship.
- (context, nautical, countable) Contraction of cat-o'-nine-tails.
verb (cat, t, ed)
- No room to swing a .
- (countable) An enthusiast or player of jazz
- (context, slang, countable) A person (usually male); dude (in its non-derogatory senses), guy, fella
- (context, archaic, countable) A sturdy merchant sailing vessel (i, now only in "catboat")
- (archaic) The game of "trap and ball" (also called "cat and dog")
- (archaic) The trap of the game of "trap and ball".
- (context, transitive, nautical) To hoist the anchor by its ring so that it hangs at the cathead.
- (transitive) To flog with a cat-o'-nine-tails.
- (context, transitive, slang) To vomit.
- (context, Ireland, colloquial) terrible, disastrous.
- The weather was , so they returned home early.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for cat for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of cat