verb (writhes, writhing, writhed or wrothe, writhed or writhen)
- (context, knot theory) The number of negative crossings subtracted from the number of positive crossings in a knot
Etymology: Old English wrÄían
- To twist; to turn; now, usually, to twist or turn so as to distort; to wring.
- To wrest; to distort; to pervert.
- To extort; to wring; to wrest.
- To twist or contort the body; to be distorted; as, to writhe with agony (also figuratively).
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for writhe for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of writhe