verb (whistl, ing)
- A device designed to be placed in the mouth in order to make a whistling sound.
- A shrill, high-pitched sound made by whistling.
- Any high-pitched sound similar to the sound made by whistling.
- (CockneyRS?) A suit.
- To make a shrill, high-pitched sound by forcing air through the mouth. To produce a whistling sound, restrictions to the flow of air are created using the teeth, tongue and lips.
- To move in such a way as to create a whistling sound.
Etymology: (term, whistlen, lang=enm); (term, hwistlan, lang=ang).
- A bullet whistled past.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for whistle for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of whistle