noun (wikipedia, weight)
:Compare to mass.
- The force on an object due to the gravitational attraction between it and the Earth.
- An object used to make something heavier.
- A standardized block of metal used in a balance to measure the mass of another object.
- (weightlifting): A disc of iron, dumbbell, or barbell used for training the muscles.
- (physics) mass (net weight, atomic weight, molecular weight, troy weight, carat weight, etc.)
- (statistics) A variable which multiplies a value for ease of statistical manipulation.
- (topology) the smallest cardinality of a base
Etymology: wiht, Äewiht
- (transitive) To add weight to something, in order to make it heavier.
- (transitive) To load, burden or oppress someone.
- (context, transitive, mathematics) To assign weights to individual statistics.
- (transitive) To bias something; to slant.
- (context, transitive, horse racing) To handicap a horse with a specified weight.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for weight for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of weight