verb (wakes, waking, woke or waked, woken or waked)
- A period after a person's death before the body is buried, in some cultures accompanied by a party.
- (intransitive) (often followed by up) To stop sleeping.
- I woke up at 4 am this morning.
- (transitive) (often followed by up) To make somebody stop sleeping.
- to lay out a body prior to burial in order to allow family and friends to pay their last respects.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for wake for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of wake