- Any plant.
- A plant raised for some edible part of it, such as the leaves, roots, fruit or flowers, but excluding any plant considered to be a fruit in the culinary sense.
- The edible part of such a plant.
- (Metaph.) A person whose body or brain has been damaged so that they cannot interact with the surrounding environment.
Etymology: (1350-1400) (adj.), from vegetabilis ("able to live and grow"), derived from vegetare ("to enliven")
- Of or relating to plants.
- Of or relating to vegetables.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for vegetable for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of vegetable