- A bunch of feathers, grass or hair, etc., held together at the base.
- A cluster of threads drawn tightly through upholstery, a mattress or a quilt, etc., to secure and strengthen the padding.
- A small clump of trees or bushes.
- (context, formerly) A gold tassel on the cap worn by titled undergraduates at English universities.
- A person entitled to wear such a tassel.
- (transitive) To provide or decorate with a tuft or tufts.
- (transitive) To form into tufts.
- (transitive) To secure and strengthen (a mattress, quilt, etc.) with tufts.
- (intransitive) To be formed into tufts.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for tuft for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of tuft