verb (tipp, ing)
- (obsolete) In the sense of gratuity, originally a small amount of beverage (i.e. tipple) left in a glass for the bartender.
- A small amount of money left for a bartender, waiter, taxi driver or other servant as a token of appreciation.
- A small amount of information (see hint, clue).
- The point of something; e.g. the sharp end of a pencil.
- An area or a place for dumping something, such as rubbish or refuse, as from a mine; a heap (see tipple).
- To inform police or investigators of a potential clue.
- To inform a trader of inside information regarding a company"s performance.
- To cause something to lean to a side, as tipping a sailboat over.
- To throw out, as in rubbish or trash.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for tip for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of tip