- The short thick digit of the human hand that has the most mobility and can be made to oppose (moved to touch) all of the other fingers.
- (computing) The part of a slider that may be moved up and down or along the slider.
- (transitive) To touch with the .
- (transitive) To turn the pages of (a book) in order to read it cursorily.
Etymology: (term, íuma, íÅma, lang=ang), from (Ger.), from tÅmon- "thick finger", from "swell" (compare Latin (term, tumere, lang=la)). Cognate with Dutch (term, duim, lang=nl), German (term, Daumen, lang=de).
- I thumbed through the book and decided not to bother reading it all.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for thumb for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of thumb