- The melting of ice, snow, or other congealed matter; the resolution of ice, or the like, into the state of a fluid; liquefaction by heat of anything congealed by frost
- a warmth of weather sufficient to melt that which is congealed. "w:Dryden.
- (intransitive) To melt, dissolve, or become fluid; to soften; " said of that which is frozen; as, the ice thaws. Specifically by gradual warming
- (intransitive) To become so warm as to melt ice and snow; " said in reference to the weather, and used impersonally.
- (context, intransitive, figuratively) To grow gentle or genial.
- (transitive) To cause (frozen things, as earth, snow, ice) to melt, soften, or dissolve. Specifically by gradual warming.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for thaw for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of thaw