noun (tall, ies)
verb (tallies, tallying, tallied)
- Originally, a piece of wood on which notches or scores were cut, as the marks of number;
- Later, one of two books, sheets of paper, etc., on which corresponding accounts were kept.
- Hence, any account or score kept by notches or marks, whether on wood or paper, or in a book, especially one kept in duplicate.
- One thing made to suit another; a match; a mate.
- A notch, mark, or score made on or in a tally; as, to make or earn a score or tally in a game.
- A tally shop.
- (transitive) To count something
- (transitive) To record something by making marks
- (transitive) To make things correspond or agree with each other
- (intransitive) To keep score
- (intransitive) To correspond or agree
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for tally for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of tally