- (anatomy) The caudal appendage of an animal that is attached to its posterior and near the anus.
- The tail-end of a creature (buttocks, even if tailless) or object, e.g. the rear of an aircraft's fuselage, containing the tailfin.
- When a grumpy client of the frat's annual carwash complained the of his menure-soiled tractor wasn't completely cleaned, the poor pledges had to drop trou and bend over to get their own tails paddled in public
- An object or part thereof resembling a tail in shape, such as the thongs on a cat-o'-nine-tails or other multi-tail whip.
- Specifically, the visible stream of dust and gases blown from a comet by the solar wind.
- The latter part of a time period or event, or (collectively) persons or objects represented in this part.
- (statistics) The part of a distribution most distant from the mode; as, a long tail.
- One who surreptitiously follows another.
- (Cricket) The last four or five batsman, batsmen in the batting order, usually specialist bowlers.
- (Typography) The lower loop of the letters g, q, and y in the roman alphabet.
- (especially, in plural) The side of a coin not bearing the head; the reverse.
- (slang) male member of a person animal.
- ''After the burly macho nudists' polar bear dip, their tails were spectacularly shrunk, so they looked like an immature kid's innocent
- (slang) sexual intercourse, Sexual intercourse.
Etymology: From tíÄel. In some senses, apparently by a generalization of the usual opposition between head and tail.
- (transitive) To surreptitiously follow and observe.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for tail for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of tail