- (uncountable) The basic taste sensation induced by sugar.
- (countable) A confection made from sugar, or high in sugar content.
- (countable) A food eaten for dessert.
adjective (er, est)
- Can we see the menu, please?
- Having a pleasant taste, especially one relating to the basic taste sensation induced by sugar.
- Having a taste of sugar.
- Containing a sweetening ingredient.
- (context, wine) Retaining a portion of sugar.
- Not having a salty taste.
- Having a pleasant smell.
- a scent
- Not decaying, fermented, rancid, sour, spoiled, or stale.
- Having a pleasant sound.
- a tune
- a voice
- Having a pleasing disposition.
- a child
- Having a helpful disposition.
- It was of him to help out.
- Free from excessive unwanted substances like acid or sulphur.
- crude oil
- (colloquial) very good
Etymology: Via (term, swete, lang=enm), (term, sweete, lang=enm) from (term, swete, swÄte, lang=ang).
- In a sweet manner.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for sweet for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of sweet