- (arithmetic) A quantity obtained by addition or aggregation.
- The of 3 and 4 is 7.
- (arithmetic) An arithmetic computation, especially one posed to a student as an exercise (not necessarily limited to addition.)
- A quantity of money.
- A summary.
- A central idea or point.
- The utmost degree.
- (obsolete) An old English measure of corn equal to the quarter.
verb (sum, m, ing)
- 1882, The is also used for the quarter, and the strike for the bushel. — James Edwin Thorold Rogers, A History of Agriculture and Prices in England, Volume 4, p. 207.
- (transitive) To add together.
- 2005, w:Plato, Plato, Sophist. Translation by Lesley Brown. w:Stephanus pagination, 250b.
- : when you say that stability and change are, it's because you're summing them up together as embraced by it, and taking note of the communion each of them has with being.
- (transitive) To give a summary of.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for sum for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of sum