- (uncountable) Sucrose in the form of small crystals, obtained from sugar cane or sugar beet and used to sweeten food and drink.
- (countable) When used to sweeten drink, an amount of such crystalline sucrose approximately equal to five grams or one teaspoon.
- He usually has his coffee white with one .
- (context, countable, chemistry) Any of various small carbohydrates that are used by organisms to store energy.
- (countable) A generic term for sucrose, glucose, fructose, etc.
- (context, countable) A term of endearment.
- I'll be with you in a moment, .
- (context, countable, slang) A kiss.
- (context, mainly, _, southern, _, US, slang) effeminacy, Effeminacy in a male, often implying homosexuality.
- I think John has a little bit of in him
- (transitive) To add sugar to; to sweeten with sugar.
Etymology: From (term, íucre, , sugar, lang=fro), from (term, succarum, lang=la), from (Arab.) (term, Ù, ÙÙÙ, tr=síkkar), from (Pers.) (term, Ú, lang=fa, tr=shekar), from (Skr.) (term, àààààà, tr=sharkara, , ground or candied sugar, originally meaning grit, gravel, lang=sa) (cognate with Greek (term, , , pebble, lang=el)).
- John heavily sugars his coffee.
- (transitive) To make (something unpleasant) seem less so.
- She has a gift for sugaring what would otherwise be harsh words.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for sugar for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of sugar