verb (suffocat, ing)
- (intransitive) To suffer from severely reduced oxygen intake to the body.
- (intransitive) To die due to insufficient oxygen supply to the body.
- (context, intransitive, figurative) To be overwhelmed by a person or issue, surrounded as though being deprived of oxygen.
- (transitive) To cause someone to suffer severly reduced oxygen supply to his body.
- (transitive) To kill a person or creature by deprive, depriving it of sufficient oxygen intake.
- (context, transitive, figurative) To make weary with excessive and prolonged contact, as though depriving of oxygen.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for suffocate for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of suffocate