verb (stifl, ing)
- A hind knee of various mammals, especially horses.
- (transitive) To interrupt or cut off
- (transitive) To repress, keep in or hold back
- The army stifled the rebellion.
- (transitive) To smother or suffocate
- The heat was stifling.
- (intransitive) To feel smothered etc
- (intransitive) To die of suffocation
- Two firemen tragically stifled in yesterday's fire when trying to rescue an old lady from her bedroom.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for stifle for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of stifle