verb (staves, staving, stove or staved)
- One of a number of narrow strips of wood, or narrow iron plates, placed edge to edge to form the sides, covering, or lining of a vessel or structure; esp., one of the strips which form the sides of a cask, a pail, etc.
- One of the bars or rounds of a rack, a ladder, etc; one of the cylindrical bars of a lantern wheel
- A metrical portion; a stanza; a staff.
- The five horizontal and parallel lines on and between which musical notes are written or pointed; the staff.
Etymology: (back-form, staves, nodot=9), the plural of (term, staff).
- (transitive) To break in the staves of; to break a hole in; to burst. Often with in.
- (transitive) To push, as with a staff. With off.
- (transitive) To delay by force; to drive away. Often with off.
- (intransitive) To burst in pieces by strike, striking against something.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for stave for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of stave