- A stain or disfigure, disfiguring mark.
verb (spot, t, ing)
- I have tried everything, and I can"t get this out.
- A pimple or pustule.
- That morning, I saw that a had come up on my chin.
- A round or irregular patch on the surface of a thing having a different color, texture etc. and generally round in shape.
- The leopard is noted for the spots of color in its fur.
- A small amount or quantity.
- Would you like to come round on Sunday for a of lunch?
- A particular location or area.
- I like to eat lunch in a pleasant outside.
- A bright lamp; a spotlight.
- A brief advertisement or program segment on television.
- Did you see the on the news about the shoelace factory?
(transitive) To see, find; to pick out, notice, locate or identify.
Etymology: Perhaps from (term, spotte, lang=dum) or (term, spot, lang=nds).
- Try to the differences between these two entries.
(finance) To loan a small amount of money to someone.
- I"ll you ten dollars for lunch.
- To stain; to leave a spot.
- Hard water will if it is left on a surface.
(rfv-sense) To remove, or attempt to remove, a stain.
- I spotted the carpet where the child dropped spaghetti.
(context, gymnastics, dance, weightlifting) To support or assist a maneuver, or to be prepared to assist if safety dictates.
- I can"t do a back handspring unless somebody spots me.
(dance) To keep the head and eyes pointing in a single direction while turning.
- Most figure skaters do not their turns like dancers do.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for spot for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of spot