verb (speeds, speeding, sped or speeded)
- the state of moving quickly or the capacity for rapid motion; rapidity
- the rate of motion or action, specifically (math)/(physics) the magnitude of the velocity; the rate distance is traversed in a given time
- (photography) the sensitivity to light of film, plates.
- (slang) any amphetamine drug used as a stimulant, especially illegally, especially methamphetamine
- (archaic) luck, success, prosperity
- (context, archaic, intransitive) To prosper, be lucky.
- (context, archaic, transitive) To help someone, to give them fortune.
Etymology: spedOld English, spÄd, from Germanic
- God speed, until we meet again.
- To go (too) fast.
- The Ferrari was speeding along the road.
- To exceed the speed limit.
- My mum got yet another fine for speeding.
- spodiz. Cognate with Dutch spoed.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for speed for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of speed