- (countable) An act of slamming.
- (countable) The shock and noise produced by slamming.
- (countable) (basketball) A slam dunk.
- (countable) (bridge) A bid of six (small slam) or seven (grand slam) in a suit or no trump.
- (countable) (colloquial) An insult.
verb (slamm, ing)
- I don't mean this as a slam, but you can be really impatient sometimes.
- (uncountable) The refuse of alum works.
- (rfv-sense) (countable, prison) A meal where ingredients are shared by three or more people to create dinner.
Etymology: Probably from a Scandinavian word, cognate with Norwegian slamre, Swedish slemma.
- to, without clear (if any) consent, change telephone carriers on a customer
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for slam for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of slam