- A deep and prolonged audible inspiration or respiration of air, as when fatigued, frustrated, or grieved; the act of sighing.
- Figuratively, a manifestation of grief; a lament.
- (cockney slang) A person with boredom
Etymology: sihen from sÄhen, from sÄcan
- To inhale a larger quantity of air than usual, and immediately expel it; to make a deep single audible respiration, especially as the result or involuntary expression of fatigue, exhaustion, grief, sorrow, frustration, or the like.
- Hence, to lament; to grieve.
- To make a sound like sighing.
- To exhale (the breath) in sighs.
- To utter sighs over; to lament or mourn over.
- To express by sighs; to utter in or with sighs.
- To express frustration.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for sigh for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of sigh